Our local television news last week had an item about the toxins in air fresheners. I always have to remind myself that the general public isn’t aware of things like this – so it really is news to many people.
The news article was based on research by Anne Steinemann, a University of Washington professor of civil and environmental engineering and public affairs. She did a study of some top-selling laundry products and air fresheners after having many people tell how these products made them sick. Her study found nearly 100 volatile organic compounds were emitted from the six products studied. And, of course, none of them were listed on the labels.